N.H.G. Outing to Cobham Hall - 7th August 2012.
It was another sunny afternoon for our last summer outing of 2012, for our visit to Cobham Hall near Northfleet. We all assembled at the hall for a 2pm start.
Forty six members and guests were first given a detailed history of the site and buildings. The hall and grounds were owned by the De Cobham's (1208), Baron Cobham who was a member of parliament (1313) and the Earls of Darley (1660). The 9th Earl of Darley died in 1955 and in 1957, the hall was passed to the Government for death duties. In 1962, an independent girls school was opened, which accommodates about 220 pupils a year.
We were then split into four small groups, with four very knowledgeable guides, who took us on a very good tour of the buildings and showed us the rooms with fantastic pictures and furniture etc. We then all arrived back in the Gilt Hall for superb refreshments.
A very enjoyable afternoon and we dispersed at about 4.30pm. We would like to thank Cobham Hall for their permission to take photographs and some are shown below.
Michael R Thompson. (Hon. Secretary).
Please see the Cobham Hall website - www.cobhamhall.com